What Documents Do I Need To Apply For A Health (OHIP) Card?

OHIP - Ontario Health Insurance Plan


To apply for a Health (OHIP) Card you need 3 types of documents. You must bring original documents. You cannot use photocopies.

You cannot use the same document twice. For example, if you use your Driver's Licence for section 2, you cannot use it again for section 3. You may need additional documents. For example, if you have changed your name, you may need to show a marriage certificate or a change of name certificate.

You need 1 document from each section:

1. Proof of Citizenship or OHIP Eligible Status

A document that shows that your immigration status makes you eligible for OHIP.

Canadian Citizens

  • Birth Certificate from a Canadian province or territory (issued under the Vital Statistics Act)
  • Canadian Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad
  • Certified Statement of Live Birth from a Canadian province or territory
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization (paper document or card, not commemorative issue)
  • Certificate of Indian Status (paper or plastic card)
  • Registered Indian Record (certified)
  • Valid Canadian Passport or a Canadian passport that has been expired for less than 5 years

Permanent Residents ("landed immigrants")

  • Canadian Immigration Identification card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292)
  • Record of Landing (IMM1000)

Other Immigration Status

  • Letter from Immigration and Refugee Board confirming Convention Refugee or Protected Person status
  • Protected Person Status document
  • Temporary Resident Permit (only some cases)
  • Work Permit (only some cases)
  • Written confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada that you have applied for permanent residence and are eligible to apply for permanent residence (approval-in-principle)

2. Proof of Residency

A document that has your name and current home address. This document confirms that your principal home is in Ontario.

  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Family Benefits Allowance
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Ontario Driver's Licence or Temporary Driver's Licence
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Your Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card

3. Support of Identity

A document that has both your name and your signature.

  • Canadian Immigration Identification Card
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (plastic card)
  • Certificate of Indian Status (paper or plastic card)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292)
  • Credit card
  • Current employee ID
  • Current professional association licence
  • Old Age Security card
  • Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit (plate portion)
  • Passport (Canadian or foreign)
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Record of Landing (IMM1000)
  • Student ID card
  • Union card
  • Valid Ontario Driver's Licence or Temporary Driver's Licence
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card

For official information about OHIP eligibility and application, please contact the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care:

  • In Ontario (toll free): 1-800-268-1154
  • In Toronto: 416-314-5518
  • TTY: 1-800-387-5559

In addition, many settlement agencies can answer your questions about the Health Card. To find a settlement agency in your area, go to Services Near Me.

For More Information